Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2nd St. Patricks Day Pub Crawl and More, Review


Welcome back from the 1st planned Phoeniville Pub Crawl. I wanted to go over what worked and what didn’t and finally if this is worth doing again next year.

First I’ll give you a quick rundown of how this idea came into being. 7 years ago my friend Sean suggested to some of us to try out the food special called “Kegs ‘n’ Eggs” at Chap's Taproom. It’s a tiny breakfast buffet and they also have “Irish” beer specials. This is the 7th year that Chap’s has done this and Sean and I have been to most of them. Last year instead of just the two of us going to the bar, we added a few other friends and my wife. At some point during the morning meal the idea was brought up to walk around on Bridge St. (the main road) in our town. We left the bar around noon and we hit a cigar bar for some reason and then split up for a few hours. After dinner we met up at my house and walked down to Bridge St. to crawl. We all seemed to have a pretty good time and I knew I wanted to repeat it. 

Back to this year. I knew that if I write the plan down then I could invite more people to join us. This is what I came up with. This was very difficult since I just wrote down what we did last year and then added board games. 
  
The 5 parts to the Phoenixville Pub Crawl.
1.       Tell people this event is happening.
2.       Kegs ‘N Eggs at Chap’s Taproom.
3.       Gather back at a house for games, movies or rest.
4.       Get to Bridge St. and start walking.
5.       Head back to home base and close the night out.

In hindsight the first part of this process is the one that needs the most work. I was about 6 months behind in adopting Facebook for event planning. I have been using an invite email service for the last 4-5 years, first E-viteand then Anyvite recently. I saw the upswing in the use of the Facebook events, but I didn’t want to make the switch because I know a few people who do not use Facebook. This was a mistake. A few days before the event I sent out a few texts to some of the core group and found out that they hadn’t even seen the invite. I sent out the original Anyvite around a month ago, and noticed that 10 of the 40ish invitees looked at it. I was prompted by my wife and a few others to create a Facebook event. Within a few hours I had several new notices with people telling me whether they were coming along or not. This reaction has prompted me to try a hybrid method of invitations for all of my events this year.

Part 2 is the original portion of the event. The selection of food may be small, but the potatoes and sausage are great, and unlimited portions are a great way to start this type of day. Last year we hit Chap’s around 10-10:30 and that was a huge mistake. This year we decided to get to Chap’s right as they opened. Even so, the place was packed. Apparently, they will reserve tables for larger groups and because of this there were very few free tables. Next year I will be looking into what’s involved for reservations. Thankfully, our friend James beat everyone in our group to Chap’s and managed to snag us a great table just a few feet from the buffet. There are two minor issues with our going to Chap’s. 1, it is a absolutely packed right from the opening bell, and 2, the food and beer selection is a bit limited. However, the prices for the “Irish” drinks and the buffet itself are still fairly low. The central location means that everyone can find it easily and its never too far for anyone to get to. The only way I can see us making any changes to this portion is if we find a new place that offers more of everything.

The third section of the day is what I’ll call the rest period. Last year we split up for a few hours. I understood why we separated, but I figured that if we want this to be a regular event then we need to keep a core group together at all times to provide continuity. This year we played a couple games, watched some TV and chatted it up. We knew we were going to be at my house for an extended amount of time and this allowed our group to swell. We had a few people stop by for the games portion and a couple stop by to join us for the crawl.

Part 4, the crawl itself. In this entry I’m just going to hit on the pros and cons. I’ll have a follow up entry where I review the individual places that we went to. We left my house at just before 6. Since the weather was so unpleasant we took a couple of cars down to Bridge St. and then hopped out at the first stop. We hit 6 places over the next 5 hours. 1.Pickering Creek Inn, 2.Hacienda La Michoacana, 3.Iron Hill Brewery, 4.Fenix, 5.Bistro on Bridge and 6.Sand Castle Winery. I think everyone had a good time and I know I'll be visiting a few of these places again. I was very impressed with the craft beer selection in 4 of the places we went. The food that we got was really good too. When the winery we went to was closing we decided to end the walking portion of our night. We were all satisfied.

The finale. After 5 hours and many places visited, we headed back to the house to socialize in a money free environment before we all went our separate ways. One last meal was purchased and one last pair of guests arrived.  For the final hours of the night we talked a bit and then quietly went to bed. 

I particularly like the way this event is set-up because it lets people float in and out as the different parts come up in the schedule. Some people like games, some people like beer, It's a gathering for everyone.
Overall, I think Saturday’s event went very well, and I am writing up next year’s invitation already.

No comments:

Post a Comment