Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Window into your Soul. . . . the Nametag?

    The use of name tags goes back around thousand years. When the Normans invaded England, the name tag made the post conquering period significantly smoother on everyone. Then when C-Line invented the innovative "Hello, my name is ___" tag in 1959 the world was changed from then onward. Whenever you go to party, work function or some other awkward gathering where you do not know anyone, the name tag comes to your rescue. However, I do not think the "Hello" tag goes far enough. Why relay only a single piece of information? I have come up with a way to turn it into a virtual Facebook homepage! Never again will there be needless staring or dilemmas when trying to remember that special person's name, that you have been talking to for an hour. Welcome to the next generation, . . . the People Tags!
(maybe "The Homepage Tag", not sure yet)

     Whenever I had one of my larger events I used to try and introduce everyone to everyone else to promote camaraderie and conversation, but over the last couple of years I made a conscious choice to stop this. It was keeping me from having maximum fun by giving me another job, and a few years ago I had a revelation. I realized that everyone I invite is an adult, and if they want to ask the name of the person they are having a conversation with, then they should ask themselves. The idea to have name tags available comes from 2 places. The first name tag incident happened at Thanksgiving 2.5 last year. I had almost 10 people specifically ask me if I had them available. They were first time attendees and knew only a few people. That put the initial idea in my head. Then at the New Years Eve event I bar-tended I noticed that the host Quinton had put out self serve name tags. I was surprised at how many people utilized them. With the knowledge that people actively wanted them, and that some people will use them on their own, my decision was made. A plain name tags just isn't fanciful enough though. I wanted something a little different.

    "Hello, my name is" is a good idea, but what if there was a way to improve upon them. I wanted these name tags to convey a bit more information than just my guest's names. So I came up with the idea for the "Homepage Tag". They will of course carry your name, but they will also have information in each corner. The lower left corner will be the status corner. I will have 3 different colors of stars available. Red for "I'm in a relationship", green for "I'm single" and yellow stars to convey "It's complicated" or something ambiguous. This corner alone will answer some of the questions from guests I have had over the last couple of years. The upper right corner I want to use to show how many Thanksgiving 2's the guests have been to. For example this will be shown with a number, a 1 representing a first time guest. The left side of the tag will be used to show off some things about the guests. The upper left will have stickers representing things they like to do or participate in. It can also show if they have a dog, cat or some other pet. While the lower left will show things they like to eat or drink (this is an eating event after all). Over the next few months I will be amassing a small collection of stickers in a wide array of activities, food, and animals. The tagging will be voluntary. I will have a couple tag stations set up near the front and rear entrances. There will be a visual reference to help explain how to set up your tag.

      The "HT" is a tiny Facebook page that will hopefully help break the ice and possibly start a few conversations. The more I can facilitate a family-like atmosphere the more fun everyone will have. This new take on name tags is not the lynch pin for the whole event. I am not expecting everyone to be thrilled with this idea. Only 10 people out of the 56 guests at TH2.5 asked about a tag, but I feel that that was enough people to try them out for at least one year. For a minor investment in time and money we will get to try a possibly good idea. I think the attempt will be worthwhile. Also, for those who were worried, they will not be mandatory. I know that not everyone will be comfortable wearing one, but for those that want to be extra sociable or perhaps want to meet someone new they will be there to help.

3 comments:

  1. I like name tags. It's hard to remember everyone's name. I don't know if everyone will want to do the colored stars though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure that the same people who would willingly put a name tag on are the same people who would really get into the idea of customizing them. I was asked several times who the singles were last year. I am hoping this will help in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas here, Joe (as usual!)

    ReplyDelete