Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Scandinavian Recipe #8 - Swedish "Royal Pot Roast" or Slotsttek



There are several variations on the traditional Swedish recipe for Royal Pot Roast. This type of recipe dates back to a time when meat was expensive and reserved for the wealthy. This traditional Swedish dish is also often translated as "Castle Fry". The Swedish name, "slot" or "slitted" steak, refers to earlier methods of roasting the meat on a spit over an open fire.The recipe has a unique addition. It uses anchovies to add flavor to the gravy. (The picture below has sardines in it, not anchovies, I grabbed the wrong fish item from the cupboard) This dish can also be made using venison, elk, boar, or moose roasts rather than beef. Because of the difficult time I had 2 years ago during TH2.5 to find the game birds, I will not be scouring the nearby counties for moose. However, if someone happens to have some moose or boar lying around in their freezers let me know. 
The most ingredient intensive meal to date. 

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4-pound boneless chuck roast
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
  • 2 cups beef stock or bouillon
  • 5 anchovy fillets, minced
  • 5 white peppercorns
  • 5 whole allspice
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. dark Syrup or molasses (I used Steen's Pure Cane Syrup)
  • 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 1 1/2 cups cream
A well browned piece of meat.

Preparation:

The onions and peppers. 
Rub the roast all over with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat; brown roast well on all sides. Remove from pot.
Place chopped onion and celery in pot and cook until opaque - 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in beef stock, minced anchovies, peppercorns, allspice, bay leaves, white vinegar, and dark syrup; return roast to pot and heat liquid to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, place lid on pot, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
Remove meat from pot to cutting board. Strain solids from the pan juices, add enough water to equal 3 cups, then return liquid to pot and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk together flour and water then add to gravy, stirring constantly until gravy thickens; stir in cream and heat until warm. Remove from heat and serve with sliced pot roast.


      In general this was fairly simple to make. There were many steps, but each was nice and simple. This vaguely reminded me of a very stripped down boeuf bourguignon. I missed the extra bits of flavor and vegetables that come with the boeuf. The boeuf is a whole stew, and not just the meat. Once I realized that this is meant to be the centerpiece of a special meal I felt better about the whole thing. The many steps are there to pack as much flavor into something that appears to be simple. 

     Overall, I enjoyed the final product. The beef was very tender after the long cooking time.The creamy gravy complimented the tender beef really nicely. I was a little surprised at how subtle all of the flavors that made up the gravy became. It reminded me a lot of the traditional Swedish meatballs I have had in the past. The only difference being the meat's texture. The roast is soft like the meatballs would be, but there is significantly less work involved in this recipe. I have only had a few people taste test this recipe for me. They were all positive, but I am not sure if this will be included in the final menu. I don't know how well the subtle cream flavors will match up against some of the stronger scents and tastes of the other main courses. Yes, I know turkey has a mild flavor, but gravy and cranberry sauce do not. Since the theme this year is Scandinavia it may be expected of me to make Swedish meatballs. I'm positive that I do not want to make something that my guests can get at Ikea and enjoy there. I want the guests to experience food from the theme that they may not have had before. I will have to wait and see what other main dishes I come across before I decide on whether to add the "Royal Pot Roast". 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment