Tuesday, September 20, 2011

If Food Issues Arrise. . .

I was just at a well planned event and I was given the honor of cooking the main course food on the grill. There was a mishap at the beginning no one present was at fault) and something had to be done to replace the "problem" foods. This got me thinking about whether or not I should create a contingency plan for my holiday.
 On one hand I am thinking it would be nice to have a turkey replacement plan. Since all of the other foods are going to be made a few days in advance, I believe the only food that could have an issue is the fried turkey. The fried turkey could become burnt or overdone or just incredibly dry (not likely). If either of these two things happen I can think of only a few options. 1. I can simply have another non-frozen turkey on hand to simply re-fry. 2. Go to the Wegmans and buy a "fresh" turkey and re-fry it. 3. Say forget about it and go buy some overly moist roast chickens from the grocery store (see above) or head over to KFC and buy a couple buckets of the good stuff. Option one means I have to buy a whole other turkey and have it sitting defrosted in my fridge. This is not something I really want to do. For any of you who haven't actually cooked a turkey here is a bit of news. They are huge in relationship to the size of most refrigerators. I will need that space to house the cold foods for the coming holiday. Option 2 allows me to keep my fridge open and not have to worry about space, but it will be a bit more expensive. Since my holiday happens after the turkey rush I imagine it should be easyish to find a fresh turkey. Option 3 will only really happen if the frying has taken an inordinate amount of time (due to severe cold outdoor temperature) and a ruined bird. At that point I think I will be more than a little upset. The colonel will be getting my business that day. Overall, a back-up plan for one of the main dishes does seem fairly easy to pull off. All three plans depend on the super patience of the guests though. Let's just hope none of these options need to take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment