Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Sweater Question

Last year I had a thought. What if everyone wore their most Christmasy of Christmas sweaters. Then I figured, "Oh, I will just go to JC Penney and get one for myself and my wife". Four hours later when I had scoured the entirety of the King of Prussia Mall I found out something terrible. Large stores no longer carry one of the best Christmas traditions, the bad Christmas sweater. I was horrified. How was this possible? I did some digging online and found very few sites that actually sell the traditional sweater: The Rusty Zipper, Skedouche, and if your lucky some vintage clothing sites will have them. The one awfully expensive alternative I have found are "Norwegian" sweaters, as in made and sent from Norway. The only stores I was able to find anything in last year were the local Goodwill and Salvation Army Stores. There were several woman's sweaters, and a few (and I use this term loosely) unisex sweatshirts, but nothing that I really wanted. I think I ended up wearing my Steelers Sweatshirt all day. Very festive, but not what I had intended.

I can't ask people to come in their best holiday/Christmas sweater if each costs $250 or requires them to spend 2 weeks finding one can I? The 80's are making a comeback, but why haven't I seen this yet? I'd go into Hot Topic if I thought they'd have some retro/hipster/emo sweaters with reindeer on them. If anyone can help please let me know. Maybe we will get lucky and the big box stores will carry them this year. Support Christmas and buy a sweater!

No comments:

Post a Comment