Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Music of the Holiday?

I have been doing some thinking on how to add more festive to the event. I was thinking of trying to pipe holiday music (one of my favorite things) throughout the house and maybe into the backyard. I would be trying to simulate what a department store or the mall does. It would be incredible to see even one person humming along to Nat King Cole's Christmas Song (or Chestnuts Roasting to the layman).
  I do not think it would be that difficult. My wife bought me a new surround sound system for my birthday. It has a few different channels on it and I have learned with a lot of reading (dumb stereo instructions) I can run wires to each room in the house and have music or the TV sound playing there. Stereo wire is fairly inexpensive and Goodwill/Impact/The Salvation Army have speakers all the time. I think for a very reasonable amount of money I could pull this off. Now I need to decide if it's worth doing.
  I think the first thing I need to check is to make sure my sound system can run two channels simultaneously. If that works then I can have the Parade on in the living room and holiday music going throughout the rest of the house. If it will work I will probably go with the radio. I think it was B 101 that ran the music last year. They had a decent selection, not enough Mele Kalikimaka for me though.
  Second thing would be using the holes drilled in the floor from the cable and internet I can run the stereo wire underneath the floor and up to the speakers in the dining room and kitchen. The dining room is full of hidden spaces I could cram a speaker. The kitchen will be a bit tougher because of the floor material. I might be able to use the area  underneath the kitchen cabinets or the washer/dryer.
  In the coming weeks I will see if this is viable, then I will update this entry.
  Maybe the holiday this year will have a little extra musical spice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment