Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The First Step: The Invitations

If you're going to have a large gathering at your house you need to invite people. I prefer to use Evite, but only because I'm familiar with it. A few of our friends use Socializer, but it doesn't offer me anything super special. 
  I re-used the template for the Evite that I used last year. 1.little story, 2.info, and then the rough menu. This isn't a super complicated affair. It is just a lunch/dinner with lots of food, so I think I have it done right at this point. I had my wife do some grammar maintenance and away it went. I have sent it to 57 individual e-mail addresses, so I suppose if everyone came I'd have around . . .114 people in my house. I think that's against some code, but I'd be amazed if that many came. The wider the net the better my chances.  I sent the Evite on August 22 and I have 9 adults and 3 kids booked already.  Pretty good for the second day.  Since I decided to do most of the food myself (I'll save why for another post) I periodically have to edit the menu to add in the specialty foods that people will bring.  I'm expecting heavy traffic to the Evite for about 3 more days, then if last year is any indicator a huge drop-off for a couple months. When I start sending out weekly reminders it will kick back up again. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Thanksgiving 2 is my favorite holiday.August 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

    I like the story.

    ReplyDelete