Thursday, August 25, 2011

Non-Food Attractions

The food is the main event for this holiday (other than the being with people part), but since I don't have a huge kitchen there have to be other things to occupy the guests time. I figured if I describe what went on in past years maybe through comments or my own brainstorming I can add a few to future years festivities.
  The living room is the indoor space most capable of entertaining the largest number of people. The living room is home to the TV and a lot of seating (15-18 people). I figured that since not everyone is super familiar with each other the TV would be the best non-drinkable social lubricant. So last year I recorded the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and played it in its entirety. It's about 3 hours long and I thought it went over pretty well. Who doesn't like giant balloons and Al Roker? After the parade I think I put "A Christmas Story" or "Christmas Vacation" on. This year I want to add a new Christmas or holiday movie, possibly "Scrooged" or "Muppet's Christmas Carol".  The middle/display/library room I used for purely a conversation area. I don't think I have any other options there. The Kitchen is just about as packed as I can make it with food. There is minimal walking space and I need that space for any last minute dishes. Nothing new will be in there. Finally, there is the backyard space. I'm going to ask Ben's mother if I can borrow the fire pit again. We may also be acquiring a ping-pong table, but I don't know if that would even be feasible to set up. I do think I will set up our new tent though. It will let people spread out a bit more than last year. I hope. If we get significantly more people than last year it will be . . . interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment