Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why the leftover plan this year?

It's very early yet to decide whether any of the regulars will demand (request?) a traditional roasted turkey, but I figured I'd go through my thought process of why I chose to go another route this year.
  Last year I was lucky enough to get 4 free turkeys. One from my friend Ben one from my parents, one from Sean's Aunt, and I from Giant. Three were made on the day of last year. The smell of a newly cooked turkey is awesome. It is right up there with the smell of bacon or cookies, in my opinion. The entire fried turkey was eaten, and the first roast turkey was eaten, and about half of the 2nd roasted one. This left me with one half eaten bird and one frozen bird. I cooked the frozen one a few days later and over the next several weeks came to a realization. I do not like just turkey. Turkey salad I really like, and turkey chili is pretty good, but just . . plain . . turkey is not something I want to eat again for over 2 weeks. If there are enough people who want the traditional bird I will gladly make it, but I will be giving it away at the end of the night. So bring a doggie bag if you are coming and have requested the roast turkey.

2 comments:

  1. Master Turkey FryerAugust 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

    I would still say to make one roasted bird too. The fried one always goes quick. If there's at least two then people coming late won't get screwed out of getting any turkey. I'm sure we can manage to get another freebie somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get over 30 people coming and a couple requests I'll do a regular one, but not a huge oven breaking one.

    ReplyDelete